With the end of the year rush ahead of us, I want to focus on quick & easy meal tips this month! I’ve got a great timesaver for you today that will help with dinner in a BIG way as I know a lot of people struggle with coming up with meals when they are too busy to cook.
Have you ever made a soup starter kit?
These handy food-prep bags make getting dinner ready SO fast because you do all the prep work ahead of time.
When it’s time to cook, you simply pull your bag out of the freezer, pop the ingredients into a soup pot or slow cooker, add the other ingredients (liquid, protein, seasoning) and you’re on your way to a healthy and delicious meal.
How To Make A Soup Starter Kit
- Quart-sized freezer bags, label, permanent marker
- 1 pound (500 g) of veggies for each soup kit
For the soup base:
- Carrots, onion, celery.
Optional “extra” veggies:
- Bell peppers, summer squash, zucchini, sweet potato, corn.
Putting It Together –
- To make your kit, chop the veggies. For best results, blanch them by dropping them into boiling water for 4-5 minutes and then placing them in ice water so they can quickly cool.
- Dry thoroughly, then place in the freezer bag, removing all the air before sealing.
- Label your bag with contents and date.
When It’s Time To Cook …
Simply put them in the slow cooker with:
- 1 lb (500 g) – turkey, beef, chicken
- (Plant-based option: Add canned beans and rice/quinoa about 2-3 hours before it’s time to eat)
- Large can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 quart (950 ml) broth
- 1-2 tsp of your fave spices & seasonings – thyme, marjoram, a bay leaf, etc.
And let simmer on low for 4-6 hours.
Over time you’ll come up with your favorite variations. You really can’t go wrong!
Also, if you haven’t seen it yet, you should definitely check out my latest e-book. It’s the Easy One-Dish Dinners Recipe Guide, and you can download it for free by Ordering It Here
Committed to your health,
CEO & Chief Medical Exercise Specialist at the Other Pain Clinic Inc™