Yes during this unprecedented time, there is more stress and there may be a bit more of having a not so good day … and now with different self-care practices, there may be a bit more of sitting on the couch …
… with a bag or bowl of your favorite snack?
Emotional eating is a real “thing” for a lot of us. It only makes sense, because since the day we were born, we’ve used food for more than just our physical nourishment.
Food is an important part of our holidays and celebrations. It can help define our family heritage. And it obviously comforts and nurtures us.
So it makes sense that we use it to soothe our emotions when we’re feeling down. (Or even “up.”)
Why We Eat When We’re Stressed …
Being aware of all of that is a big part of intuitive eating (March is Nutrition Month).
When you observe your patterns and habits, you can be more intentional in your choices instead of falling back into bad habits and old patterns.
You can actually have control over what you eat, vs. it controlling you.
Why Do We Eat When We Feel Down?
This is a complicated topic, but negative feelings can leave you feeling empty or disconnected – as if there’s a big hole or void. It’s uncomfortable.
So we can eat to try to fill it.
Here are some hallmarks of emotional hunger:
- The hunger comes on quickly.
- You are only craving certain kinds of foods.
- You don’t feel full, even if you’ve eaten a lot.
- You feel guilty or have regret later.
Over time, emotional eating can turn into a pattern or habit, so you don’t even know you’re doing it.
How To Get A Handle On Emotional Eating . . .
- When you feel like eating, ask yourself WHY. Are you truly hungry, or are you feeling stressed, bored, sad, lonely, or angry?
- If you’re not physically hungry, shift your mindset. Take a break and do something different: go for a walk, journal, take a bath, reach out to a friend or supportive family member (maybe even make a phone call!), or do something creative.
- Be gentle with yourself – congratulate yourself on noticing your patterns!
Remember – this is not about “bad” or “good.” It’s about embracing health and listening to your body’s true needs.
If you struggle with getting back to regaining your health during this time, I can help! As a start, here is this free Immune Boosting Checklist as your next steps.
After you get your Immune Boosting Checklist, contact me to book your complimentary Discovery Session.
Live today with intention,
CEO & Chief Medical Exercise Specialist @ the Other Pain Clinic Inc™