Wow do I have something special (and super delicious) for you today!
This may even become one of your new favorite recipes. Maybe.
This new brownie recipe is decadent and delicious – and it also happens to be vegan, gluten-free, AND packed with fiber and while it’s super simple and easy to throw together.
This Brownie Recipe Has A Secret Ingredient
Several months ago I made these and they tasted SO GREAT I couldn’t wait to share them with some work colleagues … whose names I will NOT mention here.
“You won’t believe how good they are!” I said. “They are made with BLACK BEANS.”
They all curled up their lips and was like, “NO THANK YOU. We like our brownies without beans.”
It wasn’t until weeks (and several batches) later that I got them to actually try the brownies (leaving out the black bean part this time).
They were a huge hit … and I didn’t tell them about the beans until the next day. Lesson learned!
If you make these and plan to share them with others, I’d wait to drop the healthy ingredient info on them till AFTER they take a bite. You’ll probably get a lot more takers. (But you might not want that, after you give them a try yourself!)
Note: I highly recommend using a food processor because the batter is thick and can be hard to stir. If you want to make these vegan, be sure to use vegan chocolate chips.
Vegan Black Bean Brownies
What You Need –
- 1 15-oz can (250 g) black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- ½ cup (40 g) gluten-free quick oats
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- ½ cup (125 g) pure maple syrup or honey
- ⅓ cup (80 g) nut butter (almond or PB work great)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup (140 g) chocolate chips
- Coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
Putting It Together –
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Prepare an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) pan by greasing it with coconut oil.
- Place all of the ingredients EXCEPT CHIPS in a food processor. Blend until completely smooth. Stir in the chips.
- Scrape mixture into your prepared pan and place in the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes before removing. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting into 9 squares.
These are so delish. If you keep them in the fridge they will stay nice & fudgy.
If you like to bake, keep your eye out for my next blog post, because I’ve got some really good stuff coming your way 🙂
Founder & Chief Medical Exercise Specialist